www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

staad & vb.net programming

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Open Source Software Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marg
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: staad & vb.net programming Reply with quote

Dear all
i found that staad and. Net programming can work together and it's powerful.i write many program for use by myself in my country code. For example.
I wrote the program to fine beam or column connectivity by automatic (same as phisical beam) and design it by my country code. Selecting reinforcing steel by define number of main reinforceing and use the program to provide extra reinforcing.finally the program can sent all result to autocad program in 2 option
1. Directly
2. Write to scr file and run by autocad command.
How do you thing about my software project.
And i also have the another program about footing to select pile type and number, design reinforcing,prepare drawing.
And i also have the program to manage the interface of staad program. For example,rotate model, create my typical model, group in advance,show only member by elevation or floor level,  etc.
Many program are waiting for your comments.
Please let me know your feeling. All of your can contact me at here or ceeprogram@gmail.com
i will wating for you comment and suggestion
thanks
Thankful People
3 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
marg
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I create a sample video about node moving at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-vNEjWs50 to show you how can this software can do?

please comments

marg
marg
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear all,

I upload a video of apbeam v1.3 software to show you that we can read result from staad program , run it by our function and send the result to autocad program by script file.
please see at this link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CYTZcnVIeY
the next video , I'll show you that we can read the all data from staad and sent it to excel or word directly.

BR,

Marg
chintanp
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: require details on .NET integration with STAAD Reply with quote

I have been able to manipulate the Staad object through the VBA in Excel. I, however, want to try and connect thru .NET framework.

Can anyone show me some implementations of working with the Staad object by a language other than VBA ?
tosifsayyed
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Marg,
I have gone through both the videos. I am using STAAD, but I am not familiar with .Net. I have searched some books for vb.net but these are basically giving descriptions and programs regarding to computer science only. I really like your implementation but first I have to understand .net structure.  I am also looking forward to implement such things in for M.Tech Project. Can you suggest me a way to approach for  .net? And also can you use your this move node program to draw an arch or a semicircular truss in STAAD? If yes, please attach your video here.
Thanking you.
Regards-
Tosif Sayyed
chintanp
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: .NET maybe an overkill for most purposes Reply with quote

Dear Tosif,

I have experience with .NET development and as you might have read if you follow current programming practises, Java beat .NET and now the newer scripting languages like Perl, PHP and NodeJS have beaten Java.

The reason is these highly object-oriented languages like Java and .NET introduce lot of complexity and are only justified for very big enterprise level applications.

And if you do not have any prior experience with these, the serious question you need to ask yourself is .. why do u need .NET in the first place?

For my problem, I had to repeat many STAAD solutions with minor variations as well as export the results.

So i built a STAAD macro in VB (not VB.net). STAAD provides scripting functionality thru its API called OpenSTAAD. You can read its documentation which comes along with your installation.

What my script did was, read input from an excel sheet, made some changes to the model like defining the beam sizes etc. (which I had defined to some extent using the GUI), did the analysis and exported the results to another excel sheet. All this happened without my intervention, once I executed the script. I did not need a custom GUI as  as is shown in marg's example videos, but that can also be done by a VB macro.

You have to understand that what you can achieve by programming STAAD is limited by the functions exposed by their API i.e. OpenSTAAD. So you cannot do what OpenSTAAD doesnt allow using any language, not Java, not .NET unless they want you to. And the guys at Bently do feel the need to a richer API and so they keep updating the API, which is currently in 2.0 and may see an update in coming years with more functions.  

Having said that there are some applications like Database interactivity or sending data over internet etc. where the use of .NET framework is justified. Even then I might be able to suggest a simpler, more faster solution that you can learn sooner than .NET. Even if you decide to go .NET way, I would be interested to see what u want to do.

Pls post details about your work and specifically what you want to achieve with STAAD ?

Mail me if you want to know about my thesis.

--Chintan Pathak
chintan.pathak@gmail.com

M.Tech (Structural Engg.)
vinit
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tousif,
I develop software for civil engineers and I am myself a civil engineer. Besides, using .NET frame work for languages like C++ & c# I have worked on languages like PHP, Ruby and all of them are Object Oriented Languages.

I quite disagree with chintanp, every language has its own power and it depends on the platform you use. If you want to build software for windows OS, the best option would be C# and .NET or Java. where as for web based application you cam go for Ruby.

Every language has its own level of abstraction and you understand that only after you work in them. for example, C++ has a lower abstraction level language and C# or Ruby are higher abstraction level languages. Higher the abstraction level of language closer it is to the Interface design. You can build an application easily in C# as compared to C++.
I myself do not have any formal education in programming and I have learnt all of it on my own because of my interest in software development.  I can tell you one thing there is no such thumb rule as to what language to develop program in and whether a language suits for enterprise level or individual level. I myself develop individual level software for structural designers in C# using .NET framework 4.5.

I agree with chintanp on rest of things as in where he says you should question yourself as to why do you need to learn .NET? Also, he as a good point about what STAAD's API allows you to do. Get answers to these questions.

Think over all of it, if something you need can be done using VB go ahead with that as its easy to use. But if you think that .NET is absolutely required you can ask and search for your doubts on stackoverflow.com its an community that answers all your doubts even the small ones. I personally have never foramlly learnt .NET from books I just read articles over a particular topic ask doubts on stackoverflow and get done with the solution as you move forward you get a deeper understanding of subject on the contrary knowing all of it in advance sometimes creates confusion.

Finally if you need any help developing software you can write to me at vinit.gujarathi@gmail.com
tosifsayyed
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you chintanp and vinit. I'll definately get back you soon with my queries.
Regards-
Sayyed Tosif
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Open Source Software Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: